AFC Wimbledon take step towards Plough Lane
AFC Wimbledon are a step closer to building a new stadium in Merton after Mayor of London Sadiq Khan overturned a decision to call in the plans.
The Dons had been granted planning permission to build an initial 11,000-seater ground on Plough Lane by Merton Borough Council in December 2015.
However the plans were called in for review in March, after a consultation, Khan has handed the application back to Merton Council.
Khan said the plans will be "of great benefit to Londoners and the wider community for generations to come".
Merton Council's cross-party planning committee had unanimously agreed to the plans, and will now determine the application.
AFC Wimbledon's plans to redevelop the current site of Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium include the construction of 602 residential units, and could see the capacity of the proposed new stadium increased to 20,000.
The League One club welcomed the decision in a statement on their web a statement on their website, adding they hoped the council would confirm that the planning application had been granted.
Meanwhile the leader of Merton Council, councillor Stephen Alambritis, said he was "thrilled" with Khan's announcement.
"We look forward to the homecoming of this much-loved and well-deserving team," Alambritis added.
"Merton wants to see AFC Wimbledon back on Wimbledon turf. We will now be working with the applicant towards the delivery of the site."
Merton's planning committee are expected to give final approval to the stadium scheme at their next meeting on Thursday, 15 September.