Aston Villa latest: Players cheered on news that Roy Keane was leaving
Villa’s players broke into applause when the Irishman’s exit was confirmed.
But that goodwill among Lambert’s players was not shared by the 4,100 travelling fans at Turf Moor, who called for their manager’s head during and after the 1-1 draw against struggling Burnley on Saturday.
The Scot was jeered by his own supporters after Danny Ings’ late penalty cancelled out Joe Cole’s first-half opener.
But 24 hours earlier it was a different story when Keane announced his departure, citing a need to spend more time with his family.
The 43-year-old former Sunderland and Ipswich manager said that doubling up his commitments with Villa and Ireland was proving too much for him.
And although he walked and was not sacked by Villa boss Lambert, the club’s first-team squad were still happy to see the back of him.
Matters came to a head after Villa’s toothless defeat to QPR at Loftus Road last month. Manchester United legend Keane rounded on several Villa players, calling them out after a pitiful display during the loss.
According to the Sunday People Sport Insiders have confirmed that Keane suffered “a real head loss” following their no-show in west London.
But it was Lambert whose head was being demanded by the supporters as large sections of the fans made their feelings known in Lancashire.
The Villans' boss did not duck the issue, and said: “I heard it. These guys pay their money and I have absolutely no problem with it. This football club is massive and the expectancy level is huge.”