Mike Phelan to take charge of Hull for opener against Leicester
The 53-year-old has already taken temporary charge of the top-flight newcomers after Steve Bruce left the club on 22 July.
Phelan held lengthy talks with Hull vice-chairman Ehab Allam on Monday and According to Radio Humberside reports the agreement is for one game but could be extended.
A host of names have been linked with the Hull vacancy, including Wales boss Chris Coleman and Gianfranco Zola.
The Welsh Football Association rejected an approach from Hull to speak to Coleman about the job, while former West Ham and Watford boss Zola has been said to have been interviewed.
Hull secured their return to the Premier League by beating Sheffield Wednesday in last season's Championship play-off final at Wembley.
However, Bruce ended his four-year stay after a breakdown in his relationship with vice-chairman Ehab Allam.
Bruce's departure has been just one chapter in a summer of turmoil at the KCOM Stadium.
Owners the Allam family opened talks with an interested party over the sale of the club in May, but put takeover talks on hold until September to "ensure stability during the transfer window".
However, Hull have so far been inactive in the transfer window despite the departure of several members of last season's promotion-winning squad and a lengthy injury list.
Long-term injuries have also hampered the teams numbers, leaving Curtis Davies as the only fit senior centre-back.
As well as losing Mohamed Diame to Championship side Newcastle despite offering the midfielder a new, improved contract.
Hull fans are planning to protest again against the club's owners at this weekends match against current champions Leicester.
Mike Phelan said in an interview with the Hull Daily Mail "I wouldn't say this has been my worst pre-season because you always take something from it, but it's certainly been a disruptive one."