Six people face charges following Hillsborough
Six people including former Chief Supt David Duckenfield face charges relating to the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.
Former Ch Supt David Duckenfield faces 95 charges of manslaughter and five other senior figures will be prosecuted over the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.
Mr Duckenfield was match commander at the FA Cup semi-final when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush. Ex-South Yorkshire Police (SYP) Ch Insp Norman Bettison, two officers, a solicitor and a Sheffield Wednesday club secretary also face charges.
The Prime Minister said it would be a day of "mixed emotions" for families.
Last year, new inquests into the 1989 disaster at the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup semi-final in Sheffield concluded the fans had been unlawfully killed. Duckenfield can only be charged for 95 victims deaths rather than 96 for legal reasons as Tony Bland died four years after the disaster, prosecutors said.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) must apply to the High Court to lift an order imposed after he was prosecuted privately in 1999, which must be removed before he can be charged.
The full list of individuals and their charges are:
- Mr Duckenfield faces manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 men, women and children
- Sir Norman faces four charges of misconduct in a public office relating to alleged lies he told in the aftermath about the culpability of fans
- Graham Mackrell, former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary, will be accused of breaching Health and Safety and Safety at Sports Ground legislation
- Peter Metcalf, who was a solicitor acting for SYP, is charged with perverting the course of Justice, relating to changes to witness statements
- Former Ch Supt Donald Denton and former Det Ch Insp Alan Foster are accused of perverting the course of justice